Friday, January 11, 2008

Watching WoW


An interesting thing has happened at my household.  I’m pretty sure that I’ve mentioned that I’m currently leveling a Shaman with my wife’s Shadow Priest (her first character.  We’re both level 55, and we have a lot of fun.  I always kind of thought that my wife was mainly doing it just to hang out with me; and while she enjoyed the game, she enjoyed my company most of all.

Due to some slight concerns with the pregnancy (oh, did I forget to mention that?), she’s been having to sit down a lot more lately.  Basically, if she exerts herself too much, she starts having some contractions, which isn’t a good thing when you’re still 2 full months from the due date.

So, since she’s sitting there on the couch, right next to the laptop anyway, she thought it would be fun to start another toon for something to do.  I suggested that she start a Draenei because I think Blizzard did a really great job with the new starting area and the new quests, and also so that I could easily send her bags and money if she needed them (as apposed to starting a Blood Elf).  She asked about each of the classes, and came up with the paladin class all on her own.  (Like my guild needs another paladin.  Lol)

She’s not very far in (only level 13), but I find that there have been a number of occasions that I have sat down next to her to watch her play… and I’ve enjoyed it.  The cool graphics, the neat story lines… I try to keep my mouth closed as much as possible so that I’m not playing the game vicariously.  She does a really great job.  She asks me questions on new spells or talents sometimes, but really, I’m just there for the entertainment of watching the game.

Then, the other night while I was in a raid, she comes up behind me and starts watching.  Granted, it was a bad night to watch raiding because we were sitting around a lot for various reasons.  People were having to run back after attempts on the Dragonhawk boss and dodging the scouts and whatnot.  So, I can’t say that she had the same positive experience at watching WoW as I did… but she still did it.

What about you?  Do you enjoy watching somebody play Wow (at least for a period of time), or are you the type that has to play to enjoy the game?

3 comments:

Matticus said...

It mostly depends on what they're doing. I've never really observed anyone playing WoW, to be honest. But if I were, I suspect I would watch them raid or PvP.

I'd love to see arena as a spectator sport, but we're a long time away before that becomes a reality.

Wow Panda said...

Congrats on the yet-to-born! We are trying to have one and no luck yet :-)

And about watching, nope, never did that. My wife hates me playing, and all my good old college buddies are too far to watch (and too lazy to make youtubes).

Anonymous said...

If I can't play, then I really enjoy watching someone else play. I do this a lot when I'm on vacation (watch my brother-in-law play, for example). Or, at work, I do enjoy watching videos that folks have posted. :) I do prefer to play the game myself if the option is available.