Tuesday, July 10, 2007

White Recipes, Marking up, and You

Just for a small distraction, and to do all of the Dranei quests again (which I think were really well done), I started an alt on my co-worker's server, Spinebreaker. I enjoy leveling professions, at the very least in the beginning stages. Fishing and cooking are a prime example of that. After the quest that awards you with a fishing pole and a bauble, I decided to use the bauble and catch me some fish. I caught me about 30 Raw Slitherskin Mackerel before the bauble expired. So, I looked up on one of the many Wow item databases to find out where the recipe to fry those bad boys up was sold. Ironforge, Westfall and Teldrasil were the locations of the vendor for the Alliance. The cost is only 40 copper. So, I asked Adventar to pick one up for me and mail it to me. He first checked the Auction House, and it was listed for 1 gold!It's not like the recipe is one of those limited quantities at the vendors. This one's unlimited. You can buy as many as you want. Furthermore, since the required skill to learn how to cook this fish is 1, it's mostly for new players or new alts. Can you imagine if a new player, who somehow didn't know about Allakhazam, figured that the only place to find the recipe was at the AH? How depressing would that be? 1 gold is a heck of a lot of money for a level 10 to amass. I know, I know... it's just making money, but isn't that kinda taking advantage of noobs? I'm all about making a profit, but I think I have to draw the line somewhere. And 1 gold for a recipe for raw Slitherskin Mackerel is just a bit too low for me.

What are some of the things you've seen that might be considered low, mean, or just plain taking advantage of people?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a bit of a different view on this. I think that new lvl 10s aren't going to buy it for 1g, the people buying this recipe for 1g are the high level people that are too lazy to travel to the place where the recipe is sold, or a lvl 10 alt that they have sent 500g for twinking purposes. So I say gouge away!!!

DadGuy said...

I am with elinor. It's about the convenience factor. You can sell the hard to come by items for a markup if people are lazy and don't want to take the time to go get them.

Prime example was that 1 hour spawn enchanting recipe... suually sold for 3g on the AH, I did that jsut about every day for a month or so way back when. a 30 second trip from the IF enchanter vendor to the AH. hehe.

I ahve also completely bought out all of one thing before and practiced some "price fixing" which can work pretty well if the stuff is actually in demand.

I hate when people announce in chat to sell something that's twice as high as the AH price on it.

Leiandra said...

On the green recipes, I totally agree. Even on recipes that are out of the way, I agree with that as well. But for a recipe that sits in unlimited amounts in the Forlorn Cavern in Iron Forge (arguably one of the most popular cities in Azeroth)... yeah, I dunno.