Monday, December 8, 2008

And I Said: NO

I'm sure I've said this before, but World of Warcraft is the ultimate game of "just one more thing". There's always just one more mob to kill, or one more quest to do, or one more level, or one more person to port, or... or... or... You name it. It's part of what keeps the game engaging and overwhelming all at the same time.

I'm usually not all that great at the self-control when it comes to this portion of the game, especially if I'm excited about the next thing/reward/whatever. If I just hit 75, I can get this new spell. And then after I get the new spell, I want to see how it works in combat. And then how can I make that spell better? You get the picture. This is probably the reason I used to log off nightly around 2 or so.

Now that I'm a little wiser... ok... who am I kidding? It's just because I get up so early in the morning. Getting up around 4:45 to be at work by 7 (yes, my commute sucks that much) means that by 11, I'm pretty tired.

So, last night, I was questing with my wife (which I have been doing a great deal lately, and we've really enjoyed it), playing one more thing World of Warcraft. She got tired around 11, and then we did a couple more things (finished one quest, had her train levels, did my cooking daily, bag management, etc) until about 11:30. I'm currently level 76, and about a bubble and a half away from 77. I'm obviously anxious and excited about hitting 77 so I can start flying again. So, I start thinking what quests I can do really quick to get that last bubble and a half.

My hearthstone is up, so I can head on out to Grizzly Hills where I was solo questing. That way I wouldn't mess up any of the quests I was doing with the Mrs. I could take the plane out to Sholazar Basin, where I have a handful of quests. Any other dailies I could quickly do?

Then I actually showed some self-control. I logged off. I brushed my teeth. And I actually went to bed at the same time as my wife.

The last bubble towards 77 will still be there tonight. It will take me very little time finish that off. I won't fall asleep on my commute to work. And tonight... I will be flying.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is all my fault for making you spend all that time porting my toons. You could have got that extra bubble and a half.

:-(

Leiandra said...

Seriously... it's okay. It'll be there tonight. And you'll probably be on, so we can do a happy dance together. lol.

Anonymous said...

Grats! Nothing like a little self-restraint once in a while. =)