Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Guild Growing Pains

I hope this wound isn't too fresh to talk about, but I think it has some good points for discussion. I neglected to mention a bit of drama that happened last week. As I mentioned, I am now the new Guild Leader. I also mentioned that the previous Guild Leader was going to continue to raid with us, but due to "personal reasons", he has left the guild.

Some mass hysteria ensued, mostly fueled by one officer in particular (from the best that I can gather). We had changed focus from Karazhan towards the 25-man raids. Not that we weren't doing Kara anymore, just that the 25-mans were more important. There were other issues why people left as well, but I think that was one of the main reasons. After that this officer said he was going to leave and start a new guild, the mob mentality set in and we had 11 people leave the guild! (Does this sound like an issue of Guildwatch from WoW Insider or what?)

The remaining officers and myself have since spoken to almost everyone, and 6 of the members have returned. I'm guessing that we'll have some other people return as well. We've also recruited an additional 4 or 5 people. So while it was kind of a really tough weekend, it looks like all will turn out for the best.

The question that I'm bringing up for discussion has to do mainly with communication. I guess most guild leaders have at least the stereotype of being jerks. Once they make up their mind, that's the final thing and whatnot. I have no idea how true that is, but that's the stereotype that I've heard. I'm not like that. I've generally tried to listen to arguments so that I can better understand positions as well as possibly strengthen my own. But before you get all bent out of shape, and especially as an officer, wouldn't you at least try to talk to the Guild Leader? Verify that you have the whole story and make sure you understand all facts? (The officer that left our guild did neither of these things.) And for those reading this blog that are not in Primogeniture, how do you interact with your Guild Leader? For those in Primo... try not to embarrass me too much, k?

4 comments:

Halite said...

Actually the only question you should ask is this ...

"Does someone who flies off the handle without gathering all of the facts and then incites chaos within the guild someone I want to be an officer of my guild?".

I'd say your better off without them. Anytime you have changes at the top you will inevitably have someone who (even if previously free of it) has to let their inner drama child out. It sounds to me as if you guys handled it quite well.

=)

Leiandra said...

Completely agree. I'm not generally one to kick somebody out of the guild, but I'll do it if I have to. This way, I don't even look like the bad guy. rofl.

Anonymous said...

About the question on Guild leaders, yeah it does seem that way. But if you think about it, the GM is the last court of appeal in any Guild. A member could take their grievance to their class lead, who takes it to the officer, who then ups it to the raid leader, who boots it to the GM. And like it or not, the GM's word is law. They may seem like jerks, but there;s always a price to pay for order and stability. Which, sadly, in this case would be your 'image' and 'perception'.

I treat my GM at arm's length. Like a boss. Cordial. Not overtly friendly. Not the kind of guy I would invite to my friday night poker game or someone I'd take to a hockey game.

DadGuy said...

I'd track them down and go over to their house and talk their ear off about what to do and not to do in the guild.

Oh wait.