Thursday, July 17, 2008

WoW on Resume

So, as I mentioned, I had a job interview yesterday. I think it went pretty well, for the most part. We'll see if anything actually comes of it. A few months ago, I decided to start including my experience as a World of Warcraft Guild Leader in a "Management Experience" section of my resume. I spend far too many hours doing this to not count it. :) So, here's what I came up with:
World of Warcraft 5/2007 – Present
Guild Leader
• Nightly coordinate a group of 35 people.
• Research and determine appropriate solutions based on resources available to help members overcome complex problems.
• Participate in all aspects of bringing on new members, including marketing, interviews, and orientation.
• Oversee that managers have properly coached subordinates to perform their given tasks.
• Handle and resolve personnel issues that may arise, including disciplinary actions when applicable.

To me, that's a pretty solid example of management experiences. Sure, go ahead and provide feedback as you feel is necessary, but I think it's pretty solid.

Apparently, the recruiter I'm working with didn't see it the same as me. She had forwarded an edited version of my resume that did not include this experience. And she didn't send me a copy of the edited resume either. So in the interview, I referenced World of Warcraft because of our guild web site where I installed the phpbb forums and customized it, showing my familiarity with different languages, and my ability to research and solve problems. Bringing up a video game reference from seemingly thin air probably made me look bad at first, but it brought attention to this part of my resume (since I handed them one of my copies at the start of the interview) and one of the interviewers plays Wow. :)

I'll hear back in a few weeks. I suppose if I get the job (or at least an offer), I can really start to preach this. I know there's the guy from Yahoo that got hired partly because of Wow, but how effective is it for the rest of us? I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Leiandra said...

In case anyone's watching this post, I spoke with the recruiter today, and so far, I'm the only one that they want to bring back for a second interview, and they only have two more interviews. Should hear back this week.

Anonymous said...

good luck on the second interview!
I have been playing WoW for 3 years but I wouldn`t include my experience as an officer/guild recruiter on my resume because i`m sure that the employer would have no clue what WoW is.

Leiandra said...

It was a panel interview with 3 people. 2 of them understood what it was with 1 of those that plays. I had to explain it to the girl in the bunch. I guess it just depends the industry you're in, but still... it IS management experience.

Anonymous said...

Somebody I interviewed a year or so ago (i run my own company) put that they had website development experience in their resume. I quizzed them on it during the interview and he revealed he ran his WOW guild's website.

It helped him get the job.

Be true to yourself. Life's too short.