Monday, July 28, 2008

New Class Spells

One of the things that I liked (or the way I remember it) about Everquest II is that you got new spells every level. Not only were they new, but you got them instantly, and they had new graphics. They weren't just higher ranks to new spells, they were actually new spells. You'd cast them in a different way than you would other spells. Sure, they'd be upgrades in disguise, but they were still new. You'd take that old spell that had the same effect and same cooldown, and you'd replace it with that new, shiny spell... not just a rank upgrade.

Don't get me wrong. I actually like Blizzard's approach. It's more simplified. You know immediately that you're replacing Frostbolt Rank 1 with Frostbolt Rank 2. Sure, you have the same animation of the spell, but Wow was never meant to push the limits where only the elitist of the elite could run at full graphics. And does a different casting animation make a game more fun? Probably not.

The reason that I bring this up is that I kind of have that same expectation, albeit subconsciously, about expansions for Wow. I expect all these new spells that will "fix our class" and make us Battle Mages that wear plate, etc, etc, but that's just not how the game works. In reality, Mages got 3 new talent spells and 6 new base spells in the expansion, and one of them (Ritual of Refreshments) was actually patched in later. Hmm... come to think of it. For 10 levels, that's actually a lot of spells.

But we haven't even seen all the new spells for all the classes yet. Again speaking from a Mage perspective, we've seen the 3 new talent spells revealed, but who knows how many changes there will be to those by launch. And for the level spells, we only know about 2. Hmm... I'm guessing that Blizzard isn't quite done with that yet.

So, for all those that are analyzing the heck out of all the data that's coming out about WOTLK and calling for the end of the world, you might want to wait until the world is actually created. I'll admit I'm not super excited about only 2 spells, but I'll also willing to bet that they're not quite done yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah.. I am feeling like the Hunter's were when they got a laggy talent preview for WoLK.

I know it's coming for the Mages, Blizzard are just holding off... off course they are, I mean that can't be it can it?

Can't say it worries me one way or the other... I'm not the sort to throw my staff and wand down and run home to Mum.

Leiandra said...

Yeah, I know some people think that x, y, or z will be the death of such-and-such class. But in my opinion, even some of the "broken classes" such as Shaman (that's what the forums pretty much say, not me) can do some pretty incredible stuff and provide awesome raid utility. One of our Elemental Shammies is generally top or towards the top in DPS.

So, yeah, I agree... I'm sure there will be other things out there for all classes.